Community college is looking a lot less expensive than I expected, and I was excited about signing up, but the health insurance is now looking like not such a good deal. Argh.
A couple of jobs in my old career field are open, and I think I’d be a shoe-in, but neither are particularly appealing. But I might cave.
Employers like employed people…
A bird in hand…
Did you mean more expensive? Would the jobs be full time plus- or a basic 40 hours a week?
No, I mean the health insurance is a bit subpar in terms of what it covers. But at least I would be insured to a degree.
The jobs would be forty hours. Kinda low-level and low-paying and a bit of a commute, but I’d be employed.
Maybe hold off on the jobs for a bit? Maybe a job in a different field?
That’s what I initially wanted to do so I could look around a bit for other opportunities. The move cost a lot, so I’m tempted to just get right back into my old career field, but that wasn’t my original intention.
I only know you from this blog… so take this with a grain of salt. It seems like after a big life changing move, you should play around with alternatives for a bit! Those in-between moments in life don’t come often. Get you CC health insurance and work part time doing something kind of ridiculous, just because you can.
It sounds like you have a skill set that won’t die if you take a year off, and enough managerial skills to always be employed (even if you have to make your own thing).
Tidewater, I think you have given me sound advice. As one of my friends said, “You’ve only been back three days!”
There’s so much I want to do besides the community college classes, like take some sewing classes (several places offer them up the street!), check out the communal farm, get back in the swing of life here, and explore job options (part and full time). If I end up getting one of those “safe” jobs, it will close off a lot of other possibilities, especially since they would involve commuting.
On the other hand, the move cost me a lot more than expected, and guilt and worry is kicking in. But (hopefully) I can pass on the jobs right now and if I have to cave, I can cave six months from now.
Still not entirely sure what I’m going to do but leaning towards passing on them…